Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Ghost Are Awesome; Here is Why

The band in the video above is called Ghost. They're a semi-new band (formed in 2008) from the heavy metal Valhalla that is Sweden. As you can see from their appearance and music, they are indeed excellent. However, there are some people who sadly think that this band is in fact not awesome. They say that Ghost are unoriginal, boring, and that their gimmick is stupid. Those people are incredibly, incredibly wrong, at least to me. Here are my rebuttals to those three reasons listed.

1. They took a style of music that hasn't been popular in decades and breathed new life into it.

The band's musical influences are most clearly classic 70s rock and old school heavy metal, such as Blue Oyster Cult, Pink Floyd, and Black Sabbath. Pretty much everything that can be done with the style they play had been done, so Ghost mixed the Blue Oyster Cult/Deep Purple style with something resembling a slower, less metallic Mercyful Fate and that's what Opus Eponymous came to sound like. And that's not to mention that Ghost has helped breathe life into the retro metal style, with bands like In Solitude and The Devil's Blood becoming known worldwide since Ghost released Opus Eponymous in 2010, as well as Ghost themselves signing to Universal Republic's new imprint Seven Four Entertainment to the tune of $750,000.

2. This style of music is not for everyone.

Most of the people I associate with in music are fans generally of fast, loud, abrasive extreme metal. A couple of them that I know REALLY do not like anything slow or melodic. I love extreme metal too (hence why I play in an extreme metal band), but I also love slow, melodic, doomy music as well. Any style of music is not for everyone, but Ghost I've noticed have gotten a lot of flack for their quick rise to fame as well as their music being kinda minimalist. I personally love how their music isn't incredibly complex or difficult to play because it means that I can just sit back and enjoy without having to get into the various workings of a song. With Ghost, I can mellow out and be a fan of music.

3. Gimmicks are meant to be stupid.

Pretty much every Ghost detractor I've come across has made some kind of comment about how their gimmick in unnecessary or overused or just flat out stupid. News flash: gimmicks are supposed to be ridiculous and dumb. Just look at something like professional wrestling. I'm a massive wrestling fan, and I love how the characters and personalities in that universe would so not work in reality. Just look at a guy like The Undertaker. He was given the gimmick of an undead zombie that didn't feel pain and had mystical, otherworldly powers. On paper that sounds fucking retarded, but when you actually watch him in action you realize that he's made the character his own and can make you look past the general ridiculousness of it and just enjoy what he does. Ghost are the same way. I've shown people their music who had almost written them off because of their appearance and they were able to see past the black robes and Satanic priest attire and just enjoy the music.

So yeah, those are my reasons why I think Ghost detractors are wrong in their non-like of the band. I'm not saying you hafta love this band or I'll track you down, put your head on a pike, cut open your spleen and drink your fluids (50 cents and a cookie to whoever knows where that line is from), I'm just retorting the claims I see from them most often. I hope you enjoyed this latest rambling of mine. Subrick out.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Subrick
http://www.facebook.com/Subrick
http://twitter.com/Subrick
http://www.facebook.com/sorrowseed666
http://www.facebook.com/PandorasToybox

No comments:

Post a Comment